Monday 4 March 2013

Teacher's Pride

Krishna Leela
On dec 14th my students performed krishna leela, a dance production conceived by Smt.Verushka Pather from South Africa . It was a colloborative effort between verushka and my school.
It was the first time I sat in the audience and watched my own students perform and the kind of emotions I went through as I watched them perform was something only a teacher can relate to.
When I watched my students as they entered the stage, I felt a rush of blood and I sat up just to be sure I dont miss anything.  Then they started dancing to the music.  I have watched their rehearsals many times, corrected them and danced along with them to fill in the gaps.  But what was novel during the show was that I was able to see myself in each one of my disciple.  It was like one piece of me was embedded in all of them in different propotions.  Some had taken my movement, some my attitude and others my abhinaya... It was magic to see my disciples perform and felt like a part of me was on stage along with them..
Krishna Leela at kalakshetra
Being a teacher has its own rewards.. ...the students not only learn the art form but they reflect  our personalities also... Infact teachers spend more time with their students than with their own children.... Till such time they are under your, wings they are just reflecting your thoughts .. once they are on their own, they start growing and developing an independent personality in dancing... and that is what makes it more beautiful....
As a teacher I have seen many of my disciples grow and flourish and it is always with happiness and pride I watch them ..... Like a gardener taking pride in the flowers that have blossomed with his careful nuturing....















.....................................................................
Shobana Bhalchandra
Tharanginee School of Bharata Natyam
Adyar, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
+91 94440 37197
theshoba@gmail.com, shobana@tharanginee.com
www.tharanginee.com

View videos of concerts, workshops in youtube - shobanaa tharanginee


No comments:

Post a Comment